KHS gets ready for a Homecoming KATfight

Homecoming is a tradition for most schools around the country. It is a time of school spirit and coming together as a community. At KHS, there are many activities planned throughout next week leading up to the cherished Homecoming football game. 

The game is planned for Sept. 27 and this time, it is going to be a Kat Fight with the Muncie Central Bearcats. This is a time to show off school spirit and for seniors to wear their senior jeans. Prior to the game, there will be a tailgate with food trucks, cornhole and more. Make sure to get to the game early to welcome the team onto the field before kickoff.

During halftime of the game, Homecoming King and Queen will also be crowned. 

“The Homecoming court nominees for Queen are Dani Gomez, Regan McClain and Noelle Duncan. The King nominees are Karsen Huffman, Andrew Barker and Chance Duncan. The prince and princess representatives for underclassmen will be announced Monday,” said Senior Class President Dani Gomez. 

Student Council will also be selling shirts based on this year’s Homecoming catchphrase to wear for spirit day and the football game. 

“Shirts will be on sale starting September 24, 2024 through September 26, 2024 at first and second lunch. The shirts will cost $10,” Gomez said. 

But the football and tailgate aren’t the only things happening to celebrate Homecoming. During the week, there will be activities like dress-up days, a lip sync battle put on by the KHS yearbook staff ($5 entry, open to public), a powderpuff football game put on by K-Club ($5 entry, open to public) and the annual spirit sheet competition. Last year, the Environmental Club came out on top for the spirit sheet competition. There are multiple clubs participating in the competition, but whoever impresses the judges the most will come out with the honors this year. 

The Varsity Club’s powderpuff game will be held on Monday at the KHS football field. Tickets are $5 and students, families, faculty and the community are all invited to attend. Each class has an assigned color: freshman are white, sophomores are blue, juniors are red and seniors are black. Those attending are encouraged to represent their class by wearing their color. Games will start at 6pm at KHS Walter Cross Field. Freshmen will start out against the seniors and the sophomores versus juniors will follow. The championship game will end the night. 

A new event this year, the KHS yearbook staff is hosting the 1st Annual Homecoming Lip Sync Battle on Wednesday, Sept. 25 in the KHS auditorium.

“Tickets for the event are $5,” said yearbook advisor Amanda Marvin. “Your ticket will give you one vote for the People’s Choice Award, presented at the end of the night. Additional votes can be purchased for $1.”

One of the most popular Homecoming events are the dress-up days. This year’s days are Jersey Day on Monday, Iconic Duos on Tuesday, Western Wednesday, BBQ dads vs. soccer moms on Thursday and spirit Friday. Struggling for an Iconic Duo idea? We’ve got you covered. You could be Woody and Buzz, Tom and Jerry, Anna and Elsa, Barbie and Ken, Mike and Sully, Mickey and Minnie, Batman and Robin, Mario and Princess Peach, Shrek and Donkey or even Mr. and Mrs. Blessing!

With all of the fun events happening next week, there are many chances to get involved and show your school spirit. Let’s have an amazing Homecoming week, show off those creative outfits and bring out all of the school spirit to support the football team at the end of the week!

Donate to Red & Blue
$20
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kokomo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.