Girls’ golf season wraps up at sectionals

Senior Matilda Stout tees off in a match at the Kokomo Country Club. Stout missed advancing to regional competition by only one stroke.
Michael Marvin

This year’s girls’ golf team is determined, focused and goal oriented.

“My goal for this season is to go low and place at conference and hopefully sectionals too,” said senior Matilda Stout. She has participated all four years in this sport and has been dedicated to her club.

This year, the team was made up of players who are brand new to the team and the sport in some cases. Despite the new members, the team is supportive of each other.

“I think the team is working very well together considering all but two of us on the team are brand new to high school golf,” Stout said.

There have been many moments that Stout has been proud of this season but she highlighted one of her proudest moments that came during her junior season.

“One moment that I’m very proud of is at conference my junior year having two chip-in’s in a row from about 20 ft. from the hole,” she said. 

One of the new members of the girls’ golf team is freshman Averie Stiner. Being only a freshman, the pressure can be tough, but Stiner is making huge improvements as the season goes on.

Personally, my main goal is to really focus on improving my technique and mechanics with my swing. I want to get better at hitting the ball consistently,” she said. “I’ve noticed that I’m hitting the ball stronger and making better contact. It hasn’t reflected in my scores as much as I would like, but I can feel the change. I would say that improvements are in progress,” Stiner said.

First year head coach Mariah Horner has a lot of gratitude toward her team of players.

“Our team works together amazingly, lifting each other up. The girls have all improved on their scores this season and I am so proud,”  she said. 

The girls’ golf team traveled to Carmel to compete in the North Central Conference match. The team walked away with a 2nd place finish, only falling to Richmond. Stiner led the LadyKat golfers, shooting a 108 and earning 1st team All-Conference honors.

The golf team wrapped up their season at the sectional tournament.

“Matilda missed advancing out individually by one stroke, Averie by two strokes and Izzy missed it by four, which is a great accomplishment,” Horner said. “The top three individuals advancing out had a 94, 97 and 99, so I know we are very close.”

The LadyKat golfers will work in the offseason on strength training and preparing for next year.

Donate to Red & Blue
$20
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kokomo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.