Kats earn first NCC title in nine seasons

Senior Ben Herrera dribbles the ball down the field during the Kats' senior night game against Lafayette Jeff. The Kats' defeated the Bronchos 3-2.
Senior Ben Herrera dribbles the ball down the field during the Kats’ senior night game against Lafayette Jeff. The Kats’ defeated the Bronchos 3-2.
Michael Marvin

For the first time in nine seasons, the Wildkat boys’ soccer team won the North Central Conference championship. The Kats defeated the Anderson Indians on Sept. 21 to secure the title. They are undefeated in conference matches as they prepare to open sectional play. 

The team’s win against the Marion Giants gave head coach Aaron Blessing his 150th career win. The Wildkats defeated Marion 1-0 last night for the historic victory.

“The team is doing well, even though they can always improve,” said head coach Aaron Blessing. “There are moments when they could be the best in their sectional and moments where they have to be sharper.”

While the season has been more successful in terms of wins, there are still ways Blessing wants to see his players improve.

“The previous matches have had good team efforts,” he said. “We’ve had good defense and have been effective, but I’m interested in seeing more progress and the players working as a team.”

This year’s team has a large number of international students on the roster, making for a unique experience for everyone. They feel playing soccer in America is very different from playing in their home countries, but they are still enjoying it and feel like they are progressing, not only as a team but within themselves.

The boys’ soccer team travels to Carroll High School tomorrow for a 5:30pm kickoff.

Donate to Red & Blue
$20
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kokomo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.