Looking for a club? Callout meetings soon!

Amanda Marvin

Spanish teachers Stephanie Weaver and Haydee Mas participate in one of the Homecoming week dress-up days. Student Council sponsors the event each year. Students interested in joining can attend a meeting on Mondays after school.

Molly Henderson, Editor-in-Chief

As we get back into the swing of things here at KHS, extracurricular activities are starting. Below, you’ll find an alphabetized list of information about some clubs at KHS. 

Art Club
Do you love creating and being around other artists? No matter what medium you use, there’s always a place for you in the art club! The art club meets weekly in room 503. Contact Ms. Hatcher-Kendall for more information. 

Debate Club/Speech Team
Do you like public speaking or want to learn how to speak in public? Head to the Debate Club/Speech Team callout on August 26th! The debate club and speech team meet weekly in room 232 or room 248. If you have any questions, contact Miss Scott or Miss Craig.

Drama Club
Does the stage call you or are you more interested in the technical part of theatre? No matter your answer, there’s a place for you in the drama club. The drama club callout meeting will be held in late August in the Performing Arts Center, where audition information and more will be discussed. If you have any questions, contact Mr. Becker or Mrs. Weeks. 

Environmental Club
If you’re passionate about the earth and are willing to get your hands dirty, the environmental club is for you! The environmental club focuses on community wide activism, with events every First Friday in downtown Kokomo, Wildkat Creek cleanups, hiking trips, and their ongoing bottle cap lid collection. Every bottle cap collected is recycled somewhere in our community to make benches or even playground equipment. Their first meeting was August 12, but it’s never too late to join. The club meets the second and fourth Thursdays of every month in club sponsor Mr. Lorenz’s room. 

E-Sports
Calling all gamers! If you’re looking for a club that combines video games and competition, the E-Sports club is for you. Rocket League, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Chess are the currently available teams.  Tryouts for the E-Sports teams will be held on Monday, August 23. Contact E-Sports coach Mr. Meyers for more information. 

Girls’ League
Girls’ League is a service-based organization open to all female students at KHS. Each year, they do community outreach, Mother-Daughter and Father-Daughter events, school fundraisers, and, of course, the prom. The club meets every Tuesday in the Faculty Dining Room.  Girls’ League had its official callout meeting on August 10, but it’s not too late to join! Contact Girls’ League sponsor Ms. Canady for more information. 

Student Council
Interested in student government and school involvement? Student Council just might be for you. Throughout the school year, the Student Council runs fundraisers, spirit events, and more that make KHS and the city of Kokomo a better place. Student Council meets Mondays on Room 280. Their callout meeting was Monday, August 16th, but it’s never too late to get involved! Contact Ms. Lewis or Mr. Ferguson for more information. 

TechnoKats
If coding is your thing, check out the TechnoKats! Each year, they build a robot for competitions, the ball for the New Year’s Eve ball drop downtown, and attend many community events. The callout meeting for TechnoKats will be August 31st- be sure to watch for posters and announcements! The TechnoKats meet weekly in room 802 or room 247. Contact Dr. Dewing or Mrs. Edwards for more information.

*Don’t see your club listed? Contact the Red & Blue staff to get your information in the next issue!