KHS students compete at Distinguished Young Women

KHS students Molly Henderson (red), Maddie Duncan (green), Abby Double (light blue) and Rilyn Wonnell (yellow) participated in the Distinguished Young Women’s scholarship program in early September.

Asia Webb, Reporter

Recently, four KHS students took to the stage to compete in the Distinguished Young Women Scholarship competition. Seniors Abby Double, Maddie Duncan, Molly Henderson and Rilyn Wonnell participated in the event.

According to the Distinguished Young Women website, the program is “oldest and largest scholarship program for high school girls. Last year, we made more than $1 billion in cash tuition and college-granted scholarships available nationally.”

In 2018, KHS senior Aaryan Morrison participated in the program and won the local event. She went on to win the national title as well. Morrison is the reason Henderson and Wonnell decided to participate in the program. Participants are evaluated in five categories: scholastics, talent, interview, fitness and self-expression.

“My favorite part of the program was the interview session with the judges. I felt that I really got to connect with them and show them who I am,” Henderson said.

For both Henderson and Wonnell, the program was a way to put themselves out there and gain public speaking experience.

“I have gained confidence in my public speaking and experience from the ‘Be Your Best Self” program,” Wonnell said. 

Girls who are interested in participating in next year’s program can visit the Distinguished Young Women program website. It’s free to apply to participate.