Wrestlers push three to state

Regan McClain, Sports Editor

While competing at the state finals, two Kats placed in the top eight in their weight classes. Junior Jalen May fell in the quarterfinals to move into the consolation rounds and came out in 7th place in the 113 lbs. weight class. Senior Jaquan East fell in the semifinals to go to the consolation bracket and finished 3rd place in 170 lbs. Junior Chad Washburn fell in the preliminary round of 195 lbs. 

The overall season came as a success. With a very young starting unit, the team consisted of five freshmen, four sophomores, and two juniors. The work ethic of each wrestler helped to lead to success amongst the team.

“I think the season went good,” May said. “I think we could have done better but I also know we had a lot of young kids.”

There were difficulties that came with the season but there were adjustments for each individual. Showing up to practice and getting through every day helped to push them to reach their goals.

Throughout the season, every wrestler had an individual goal that they wanted to focus on and that pushed them through. The goals they wanted to achieve came with a lot of hard work and dedication. It didn’t just come without any effort.

“My motivation was just winning for the team,” May said. 

May wanted to be successful for his team as well as himself. As long as there is hard work, anyone can be successful. Being a role model for the younger athletes came with many expectations but the upperclassmen dealt with it easily. 

The Wildkat Wrestlers celebrated an all-around victorious season. Having multiple wrestlers move on from sectionals was something that the team had been wanting to do all season. Also, pushing three to state was a great success. Overall, the team gained a lot of experience from this season and pushed each other to be successful in their own ways.