Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Marching Wildkats take top prize

The marching band and guard earned their second straight 1st place finish at the Indiana State Fair Band Day

For the second year in a row, the KHS Marching Wildkats were crowned state champions at the Indiana State Fair Band Day. The band’s show “A Young Person’s Guide to a Farmer’s Life,” featured the band playing songs like the theme from Green Acres and the guard dancing with farm tools like pitchforks and hoes.

Band director Brandon Anderson helped guide the marching band to their second straight undefeated season. 

“Winning the first year was exciting, but winning for the second year in a row shows that it isn’t just a fluke. It proves that we can hold our own,” he said. 

The color guard was also honored with an award at Band Day. They were named the Top Color Guard. 

“This year was a fun year for the color guard. On top of using standard guard equipment such as six-foot flags, swing flags, rifles, and sabers, many of our members also performed with hoes and pitchforks to fit the theme of this year’s show,” said guard director Deanne Wideman. “To pull this off, the members really have to get into character or the performance will fall flat.”

Winning the color guard award made the state championship even better for the guard members. 

“It feels like such an amazing accomplishment because we didn’t win this last year. It shows that we’re still able to win,” said junior guard member Keegan Irick-Holiday.

This year’s show had many fun moments for the band and color guard, but many noted the final moment of the show as the best. 

“My most favorite part of this years’ compilation was the very end when our guard captain pushes our flute soloist into a wheelbarrow. I just think it’s a cute and silly moment that shows us having fun,” said junior Aidan Oldaker.

While many would cite winning another state title as the highlight of the season, Anderson also enjoys the summer activities with the marching band, working long days to get the performance perfect. He can see the improvement that they make over the summer and into their competitions. But after the final competition, this year’s show was retired and Anderson had a final thought on the season.

“I’m so proud of you all and how far you’ve come,” he said of his marching band members.