Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New open lunch policy raises concerns

At the start of the new school year, the seniors who were previously granted the privilege of open lunch now find themselves waiting an additional 20 minutes before being allowed to leave. This added delay is unnecessary to me. The seniors who already underwent the application process for open lunch perceive this waiting period as taking from the value of the privilege they earned.

The 20 minute wait for open lunch appears rather pointless. Despite being labeled a study hall, the allotted time is not enough for completing any homework assignments. Instead of using this time as intended, the seniors often socialize or use their phones. Subtracting these minutes only stresses the sense of hurry for these seniors, making them feel rushed while getting food and getting back to school.

To get other opinions regarding this downtime, I created a Google form for open lunch students to share their perspectives. Responses from everyone who participated in the survey uniformly expressed dissatisfaction with the mandated twenty minute wait. Comments such as “pointless,” “mainly conversation,” and “everyone either chats or remains on their phone” show the shared views.

In response to the question about potential improvements, a couple of suggestions surfaced. One idea involves having Mr. Woods stand near door 11 to maintain attendance and monitor who leaves to prevent sneak outs. Another proposition suggests staying in the study hall until the fifth-period bell rings, ensuring that anyone leaving after that point is part of the open lunch class.

This downtime during open lunch is seen as depriving the privilege seniors have earned. The extra time constraints cause seniors to feel rushed and stressed, which could lead to reckless driving and an increased risk of accidents. If managed differently, these twenty minutes could contribute to a more relaxed driving experience for senior students going out for lunch, and time to actually enjoy their food.

This poll has ended.

What is the best restaurant to grab lunch from?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.