Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

KLA mentors encourage freshmen

Kokomo Leadership Academy is an organization that provides freshmen a time to connect with other students. KLA first started in March of 2022 and seeks to help and support freshmen that are struggling or need someone to talk to. Amaiya Aiello-Brown is one of the KLA mentors. 

“KLA is a good chance to get  to know other people in your grade and outside your grade,” she said. 

One event that KLA began working with is freshman orientation. KLA members helped incoming freshmen find their way around the school and get prepared for the first day of high school. They also started a freshman lunch where they sit down in the media center and have lunch with freshmen. KLA members do this because they want freshmen to know there is someone there for them and it also helps them get to know their classmates. 

Amy Roe is one of the KLA sponsors. She hopes that KLA and its members can make Kokomo an even better place.

“We talk about how we can make Kokomo a better place. It already is a great place but how can we change the culture and make the culture even better,” she said. 

Students who are interested in becoming KLA mentors next school year should watch for the application during second semester.