Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls’ golf team tees off

This year’s girls’ golf team is small but mighty. With only four golfers, the team’s goals look different than they have in previous years.

“We have a small team with some leaders and some new players. Our goals right now are to make individual goals about our game throughout each week of our season,” said head coach Kylie Kern. “Each player is continuously working on something different to improve their game.”

But for Kern, having a small team can be beneficial to teaching and learning.

Junior Matilda Stout practices her golf swing before a match at the Kokomo Country Club. Stout is one of four LadyKat golfers this season. (Amanda Marvin)

“One of the things I have always loved about golf is that we ARE such a small team. We become a family. We get to know each other quickly and are there for each other when we need it,” she said. “I also find it beneficial in the coaching aspect. There are so many parts to coaching golf such as development of a golf swing, learning how to get out of tough situations, and learning the rules. Because we have a small team, it gives me a lot of time to teach each player what they need to know.”

Returning golfers, senior Brileigh Quillen-Popejoy and junior Matilda Stout are ready to step up and lead their teammates.

“I’m looking forward to being a leader this season. I have really had to step up this year, leading our team to grow and become more serious golfers,” Stout said.

The LadyKat golfers are working to prepare for their North Central Conference meet on Friday, Sept. 11. They travel to Lafayette Jeff to compete in the Lady Broncho Invitational tomorrow.