Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Boys’ soccer season ramps up

Captain+Ben+Herrera+blocks+the+ball+from+his+Muncie+Central+opponent+during+a+home+game.+The+Kats+fell+to+the+Bearcats%2C+3-2.+
Amanda Marvin
Captain Ben Herrera blocks the ball from his Muncie Central opponent during a home game. The Kats fell to the Bearcats, 3-2.

This season, the KHS boys’ soccer team is looking forward to finishing in the top four of the North Central Conference and challenging for a sectional championship. In addition, head coach Aaron Blessing hopes his team members grow in their understanding of themselves and of their fellow teammates.

“Leading young men to develop their skill set and then give their best to the team’s effort motivates me,” he said.

Blessing believes that, compared to last season, his players are way more effective at creative scoring opportunities. There are several players who can beat defenders and create their own shot.

With a new season comes new players and this year the new players make up the biggest class the team has had in five years. There are also 11 international students playing this year. This growth is great for the program because now they have a complete varsity and JV team.

The Kats currently stand at two wins and four losses on the season. There first win came against county rival Northwestern, 2-1. But the team looks at losses as a chance of improving and getting better. Blessing helps his players to review the process and to analyze the team’s intensity is going.

“Feedback after each game is one of the most important stages for our players no matter the result of the game,” he said.

The Kats travel to McCutcheon on Tuesday, Sept. 5 for a 7pm game.