Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

KHS should add Homecoming dance

KHS+students+enjoy+the+music+at+the+2014+Homecoming+dance.+Students+used+to+be+able+to+attend+the+dance+after+the+football+game+was+over.+
KHS students enjoy the music at the 2014 Homecoming dance. Students used to be able to attend the dance after the football game was over.

You have probably heard your friends from other schools talking about a Homecoming dance. Maybe you helped them come up with Homecoming proposals or pick out a special dress. But, kids attending Kokomo High School do not get the experience of doing these things. While we get the opportunity to have a beautifully decorated prom and semi formal, we are missing out on the excitement of a Homecoming dance. 

When we elect Homecoming court every year, it is an election of someone who deserves it. We feel as though the court deserves more recognition than a walk on the track at halftime of the football game. Many students put a lot of emphasis on the titles of Homecoming royalty, and if there were a dance, those titles would be more appreciated. Students all around the school have similar opinions.

“ I think we should have a homecoming dance because every other school has one, and all the spirit days lead up to the dance so we would have something we are anticipating other than just the football game,” said senior Alona Smith.

You can see the decline in Homecoming school spirit throughout the years because all that people look forward to is the football game. More students would likely dress up and be involved in the spirit days before Homecoming if we added a new and exciting factor to the experience. 

If KHS held a low profit memorable homecoming dance with affordable ticket prices there would be more people attending. Even if the dance is held with nothing but disco lights and a DJ, the students would look forward to it. Not only would a simple memorable dance with cheap entry be something new, but it would increase the number of students who attend which would be a good way to fundraise money for our school.

“I feel like the students would be more involved and actually go to the dance, especially if the tickets are cheap because if they’re fifty dollars nobody’s going to want to go,”  said senior DeDe McClung

Sales should be no more than twenty dollars. It wouldn’t need to be a huge formal event, it could just be a fun place for students to dance and hang out. Many other schools have this dance in addition to Prom and formal, but students at our school miss out on that extra chance to socialize with one another outside of school. More students would look forward to Homecoming week if we added a dance to the activities.