Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Environmental Club helps provide clean water

In the month of September, the KHS Environmental Club teamed up with H2Opportunity to do something incredible. The Environmental Club got the opportunity to sponsor a water well in North East India, a project aimed at providing clean water to a community without direct access to it. This project promises to have a positive impact on the local community surrounding the water well, as well as neighboring communities that can now access clean water.

The funding for this project was made possible through the Solidarity Credit Union paper shredding event. During this event, club members were tasked with shredding community members’ papers, as well as those from the bank, which were collected and properly recycled. This event not only promoted environmental health but also inspired Solidarity bank to donate enough funds to make this project happen. 

Leading the water well project are KHS alum Greyson Bolding and Theresa Phelps. Both firmly believe that everyone deserves the right to safe, reliable, and clean water. Their efforts, alongside the support from others in the community, are driven to achieve their goal of assisting those in dire need. Bolding shared his inspiration for the project.

“I was subbing at KHS and I had the idea to pitch a collaboration between our trip and KHS,” Bolding said.  Given the chance to present their plan, Environmental Club sponsor Vince Lorenz was pumped about the opportunity to make this project a reality. 

The impact of this water well on the local community in North East India cannot be described in words. It will eliminate the need for people, typically  young girls, to travel miles to collect clean water. H2Opportunity is deeply grateful for the chance to aid this community and experience the rich history and culture that India has to offer.