Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls’ basketball gets back to business

Senior+Mia+Castillo+takes+the+ball+to+the+hoop+during+the+LadyKats+win+over+Fort+Wayne+South.+The+LadyKats+are+3-2+on+the+season.+
Amanda Marvin
Senior Mia Castillo takes the ball to the hoop during the LadyKats’ win over Fort Wayne South. The LadyKats are 3-2 on the season.

As we find ourselves easing into the colder months, many winter sports are coming back around. The girls’ basketball team is one of the first to hit the court for the season. The LadyKats are 3-2 on the season, beating Fort Wayne South Side over the weekend. But before the season ever began, the played summer ball to get ready for the year.

“Playing over the summer has allowed me to get faster and stronger and I’m becoming more fundamental,” said senior Aijia Elliott.  

As the team has been playing together, they’ve been making improvements to their game.

“I feel like last season went well, but I feel like if we do more as a team, we can be much better,” said senior Kamaria White.

The LadyKats suffered their first loss of the season to a ranked West Lafayette team. Last year, West Lafayette demolished the Kats by close to 30 points, but this year the team lessened that score gap, only losing by 11. Their hard work is starting to pay off. 

As the season continues, each player is getting more excited for the season and striving to reach their goal: winning the sectional.

“I’m excited for this season because we plan on winning sectional,” said junior Ma’kaela Drake. “The family is back together.” 

The LadyKats are back in action after Thanksgiving when they take on Anderson at Memorial Gym. Game time is 1:30pm on Saturday, Nov. 25.