KHS students to bowl at semi-state competition

KHS students celebrate their sectional victory, after defeating Western in the final round.

One strike, double, TURKEY! A bowling team filled with Kokomo High School students is in town knocking these pins down from left to right. The bowling team won their sectional, advancing to the regional competition in Fort Wayne. Ashlynn Slabaugh, Isabell Hummel, Carter Hunt and Nathan Lay also moved on to regional in the singles competition. Despite bowling well all day, the KHS students had tough competition in the final round.

“The final match was much more competitive than we assumed it might be as we had bowled so well all day and had a large lead,” said coach Ryan Mills.  “We were matched up against Western and they bowled an excellent game and beat us in the first game by 18 pins.  They bowled a 220 game and we bowled 202.  Honestly, we were a little shell-shocked even though we bowled a really good game ourselves.  The second game we still bowled really well with a 192 to Western’s 155, and ended up winning that game by enough pins to win the sectional.”

The bowling team has now advanced to the semi-state competition. They are one competition away from reaching the state finals.

“The team qualified in 5th (6 teams made the cut), we were 4th for most of the day and only a few pins out of 2nd for some part of the day,” said coach Scott Moore.

Slabaugh has been on the bowling team throughout high school. She has been bowling for most of her life because her father coaches. 

“I was so excited to finally make it to regional as an individual. I’ve been on the high school team since my freshman year and I haven’t made the cut yet,” she said. “Making it this year and qualifying third out of multiple girls really boosted my confidence and I feel like I am able to really show what I’ve improved on.”

Junior Jaydon Koon has only been bowling for a year, so advancing to the regional competition came as a bit of a shock.

“I just started  bowling last year and it was never been something I thought I would have really enjoyed, but it has been a blast being able to compete,” he said.

In addition to working on their bowling skills, the team loves the community they are able to be part of. Moore’s favorite thing about bowling is the people you meet. Mills agrees.

“The best thing about bowling is the community. Everyone can bowl, and it can truly be an activity for a lifetime,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what your ability is, there is a place for anyone. When someone in our community has a need, we show up in support.”

The team competes in the semi-state tomorrow in Fort Wayne.