Kats’ wrestlers prepare for tournament time

Junior Gabe Newland wrestles at 138 pounds during a home match against Carmel. Newland and the Wildkat Wrestlers compete in the sectional tomorrow.
Amanda Marvin

With the start of the 2024 IHSAA wrestling tournament coming up quickly, the Wildkat Wrestlers are working hard to advance as far as possible. After advancing three wrestlers to the state finals last year, the team is looking to improve on their success. Seniors Chad Washburn and Jalen May both represented the Kats at the state competition.

The Wildkats had a successful North Central Conference, with six wrestlers placing in the top four of their weight classes. May and Washburn won their weight classes. Washburn pinned his opponent in 25 seconds during the finals. Sophomore David Conner also won the 144 pound weight class, while junior Gabe Newland finished second at 138 pounds and sophomore Christien Damewood placed third at 126 pounds. Sophomore X’Avion Ford and junior Jedaiah Beard finished fourth in their weight classes.

Junior Gabe Newland is working hard to get in the right mindset prior to this week’s sectional.

“If I go in with a good mindset, I know I can win,” he said. “I need to focus on doing my best and work on not being stuck when I’m on the bottom.”

Freshman Cole Bagwell is also working on staying focused during his matches.

“If I focus on being on top and not getting stuck in certain situations, not letting him get out, and get take downs I will do my best,” he said.

The Kats wrestle for the chance to continue in the state tournament at the Oak Hill sectional tomorrow.