Indoor percussion takes new approach

Junior Maddy Paul plays with the indoor percussion ensemble at the KHS open house in February.

Kokomo High School has been notorious for its incredible band program the past couple years, and it is continuing to grow. One ensemble that is currently competing is the indoor percussion group. Indoor percussion consists of a marching percussion and ensemble that combines the elements of theater, music performance and marching. Indoor percussion has already been competing in their regular season, but as the season is wrapping up, they are approaching the chance to commpete at state.

Senior Zavion Merriweather and junior Lukah Kincaid have been involved in indoor percussion for all of their high school careers.

“I joined indoor percussion my freshman year to continue growing as a musician, and make new friends who enjoyed playing music and competing like I did,” Kincaid said.

They both agreed that indoor percussion has been a huge part of their high school experience, and would try and encourage everyone to do this because of the amazing experience they had.

My favorite memory from indoor percussion was tie dying our show shirts my freshman year for our ‘Good Vibrations’ Beach Boys inspired show,” Kincaid said. 

For this year’s show, the band has decided to take a different approach to competing and have taken out the marching aspect of indoor percussion. Kincaid described it as something different, yet really fun and exciting because it is something that is outside of their usual competition. Their show, called “Fright Night,” is made up of selections of spooky classical music.

The indoor percussion ensemble competes next on March 9.