Sophomore Megan Leavitt competes on the uneven bars at the 2024 North Central Conference meet. Leavitt earned all-conference honors at the meet.
H&R Photography

Leavitt becomes first KHS gymnast

For the first time in its history, Kokomo High School has a gymnast representing the school at IHSAA gymnastic competitions. Sophomore Megan Leavitt is the first Kats’ gymnast to participate in the North Central Conference and sectional competitions. 

Leavitt made an impression at both the conference and the sectional, earning all-conference honors at the NCC meet and the right to compete in this weekend’s regional meet by placing 1st on bars, 2nd on beam and 3rd in the all-around competition at the sectional meet.

Leavitt is a gymnast with a lot of talent. She represents KHS at competitions every Saturday, as well as  throughout the week on certain occasions.  She has won multiple awards including many state, regional and national titles. She is a part of four events in gymnastics: vault, bars, beam and floor. 

I really enjoy gymnastics as I have been doing the sport for most of my life. My favorite events are bars and beam,” Leavitt said.

Although this is Leavitt’s first year participating in high school gymnastics, she has been doing club gymnastics since she was five years old. This is where most of her titles came from.

“Although this is my first year of high school gymnastics, I have placed first several times already. I haven’t had any [high school] meets besides regular season meets so far,” she said. “I am really happy I get to represent KHS as the first gymnast. This is a huge learning experience as high school gymnastics is much different than club gymnastics, but I have had a lot of fun so far. I’m so thankful for this opportunity.”