Senior Flory Bidunga is presented his McDonalds All-American jersey during senior night at Memorial Gym. Bidunga, who will play at Kansas next year, is the first KHS player to be named to the All-American team.
Senior Flory Bidunga is presented his McDonald’s All-American jersey during senior night at Memorial Gym. Bidunga, who will play at Kansas next year, is the first KHS player to be named to the All-American team.
Amanda Marvin

Kats go Back 2 Back 2 Back

Seniors lead Kats to a state record 77th sectional title

The KHS boys’ basketball team’s 2023-24 season came to a close earlier then they would have hoped. The team won their third straight sectional title and advanced to the regional before falling to #1 ranked Fishers. 

As the underclassmen rise to the occasion, the seniors will be moving forward with a new chapter in their lives. Flory Bidunga is well-known in the halls of KHS and around the community. Bidunga is the first KHS player to be named a McDonald’s All-American and he is an Indiana Mr. Basketball candidate. He has  committed to Kansas University, and will continue his basketball journey there. When asked what he is looking forward to in future seasons of basketball, Bidunga kept his answer straightforward and simple.

“I want to make a big impact with Kansas, and just have fun,” he said. 

As the seniors leave, it is now time for the underclassmen to grow their skills. Sophomore Korbyn Hammel has shown significant growth in his basketball ability, and is excited to keep growing. While he will miss the seniors, he is excited to keep moving forward in high school basketball.

“I remember making the winning shot and looking up to see everyone cheering for me and what I had done,” Hammel said. “It felt good and I will always remember how that felt. Right now I am trying to go D1 in college.” 

Junior Zion Bellamy has been a staple on the court for the Kats. He is well known by the students and his coaches on the basketball team. 

“Experiencing new stuff with my team was memorable for me. Last year I got hurt so this year I got to play in sectionals with them and I didn’t get to do that last year,” Bellamy said.

While the seniors have mixed emotions about their leaving KHS, they will be able to reflect on their memories here at Kokomo High School. 

“I’m gonna miss my teammates the most. I’ll also miss the people who want us to win and give us support,”” Bidunga said. 

But for the players who still have time at KHS, they’ll miss the seniors who are moving on the most.

“I’m gonna miss Flory, and all the seniors’ goofiness and how much humor they bring to the team,”  Hammel said.

Bellamy agreed.

“I’m gonna miss the seniors and playing with Flory, Karsen and Reis,” Bellamy said. “I’ve been playing with them for three years.”

Earlier this week, head coach John Peckinpaugh was announced as the head coach for this year’s Indiana All-Star team. Bidunga was named the Gatorade Indiana Boys’ Basketball Player of the Year for the second year in a row. He became just the fifth player to ever win the honor twice in Indiana.