Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Track teams race to the finish line

Amanda Marvin
Senior Mia Castillo kicks off the 4×100 meter relay during a home meet against Logansport. Castillo ran the first leg of the relay.

With tomorrow’s Kokomo Relays on the horizon, the boys’ and girls’ track teams are working hard to improve and be the best they can be. It’s the improvement that girls’ head coach John Malone is excited about.

“I’m looking most forward to seeing how much we will improve from day one to sectionals,” he said. 

The team is very young this season, so their goals are reflective of that. 

“We have a very young team so our goals for the season are to gain experience and to finish in the top 3 at conference and sectionals,” Malone said. 

The girls started the season at indoor meets and performed very well. Malone enjoyed watching his team get excited about the upcoming season. 

“My most memorable moment was when our freshmen went to our first indoor meet and seeing how excited they were,” he said. 

But training athletes to compete in a variety of events can be challenging. With athletes competing in everything from sprints to distance runs and jumps to field events, Malone likes to use the data to help the girls improve. 

“My coaching philosophy is to train an athlete to be the best they can be. I believe in using data to show every athlete how much they have improved,” he said. “I differentiate training for different events. The workout for an athlete who runs 400 meters is different from the athlete who runs 100 meters. Workouts for athletes who run 800-3200 meters vary as well.”

The girls’ track team will compete in the 100th Kokomo Relays tomorrow at Walter Cross Field.   

Boys’ head coach Zenova Willams biggest goal for the season is for everything to click for her team at the right time. 

My goals for this season would be for things to click and come together at the right time (NCC, Sectionals, and so forth),” she said. “I am hoping that we can keep the intensity going, foot on the gas, and peak when it’s time. Ultimately, I want these guys to have fun and to continue to cultivate an atmosphere that encourages brotherhood, family, hard work, and what it means to be a Wildkat on and off the track.”

Williams is hoping to build a culture where the athletes understand that it’s okay when things get hard. 

“Some of the most rewarding aspects of coaching is having the opportunity to do life with these boys. That means being able to be with them in the highs, and the lows,” Williams said. “Witnessing these boys meet goals rather small or big, athletically, personally, or academically is rewarding. Being able to talk them through the hard times is also something that I enjoy. I’m truly grateful to be a part of their lives.”

Williams hopes the community will come out and cheer the team on this weekend. 

“I know that spring weather in Indiana is hit or miss, so it doesn’t always make for a fun time. However, I encourage all Wildkat fans to support our track and field programs. The support is huge for the confidence and growth of our athletes,” she said. “Let’s show up for them Wildkat Nation! The 100th Kokomo Relays is Saturday, so come out and support us at home!”