Wildkats head into final regular season game

Junior+TaShy+Stewart+carries+the+ball+during+the+Kats+season+opener+against+the+Western+Panthers.+

Amanda Marvin

Junior Ta’Shy Stewart carries the ball during the Kats’ season opener against the Western Panthers.

Makenzie Burthay, Reporter

The pandemic has changed a lot this year for people all over. Covid-19 has especially impacted high school sports. The KHS football team has been taking precautions to make sure everyone involved stays safe.

Head coach Austin Colby has helped the team take precautions to make sure everything gets properly sanitized and make sure the equipment is wiped down after every practice. Assistant coach and welding instructor Brian Mikesell even designed pieces of water equipment to help with the cross contamination between the players. 

But recently, Covid had an even bigger impact on the Wildkat football team. The team recently had to cancel two games and a week of practice because of the virus and the quarantine rules. One of the games the team missed was senior night. Colby helped organize an impromptu ceremony so the senior football players would not miss out on their special night.

Covid also impacted the way the athletes were able to prepare for the season. 

“Covid affected summer practices and we were not able to do the 7 on 7 vs other teams as a pre season,” said junior Ta’Shy Stweart. 

But the team is still working hard and making strides ahead of the postseason. As the team says “there is a lot more football to play.” The team is taking 3-3 record into tomorrow’s game at Arsenal Tech in Indianapolis. Arsenal Tech brings a 2-5 record into the contest. 

With a week off during Fall Break, the team will prepare for the opening round of the sectional against McCutcheon. The Kats beat the Mavs on Homecoming night in September. The Wildkats host the Mavs for their sectional rematch on Friday, Oct. 30.