LadyKats off to impressive start

Junior+Chloe+McClain+drives+around+one+of+her+opponents+during+the+LadyKats+game+against+Peru.+McClain+and+the+Kats+host+McCutcheon+tonight+for+a+boys-girls+double+header.+

Junior Chloe McClain drives around one of her opponents during the LadyKats game against Peru. McClain and the Kats host McCutcheon tonight for a boys-girls double header.

Allysson George, Reporter

The 4-2 LadyKats have already won as many games in one month of play as they did all last season. The LadyKats won their first game of the season on Senior Night against Lewis Cass. It was the first win for new head coach Haley Cook-Peckinpaugh.

The new coach is taking over after after a string of one year coaches. With the new coach and new season have come some new faces to the LadyKats’ roster.

“We have had a lot of different coaches come in since my freshman year and they have all brought in their own style of coaching. We have focused on our defensive game this year and currently we are working on our shooting,” said junior Chloe McClain. “Last year, we had zero freshmen. This year we have three freshmen who have helped out the season a lot. Lilly Hicks and Kamaria White are both dynamic players who can shoot the ball but are aggressive and can drive to the basket. Our third freshmen is 6’0 and kills it in the post. Coach Cook has brought in a lot of changes and it has been easy for us to adapt to.”

While the team is feeling good about the rest of the season, there are many things that have changed since last season.

“An obvious difference is having to wear a mask and social distance,” said junior Brooke Hughes. “I limit myself to how much I go out to eat or shop. I try to stay away from my great grandparents or anyone I know that can severely be affected by the virus. This is to keep them safer from getting it from me if I don’t know I have it or if I’ve been exposed.”

With Howard County moving to red status, the number of spectators has been been drastically impacted. Each player is allowed two tickets.

“Luckily, we haven’t been majorly affected by COVID this year as a team. It has impacted the amount of spectators coming to our games, but we have adapted and learned how to hype each other up without a larger crowd,” McClain said.

Both the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams host McCutcheon tonight for conference matchups.