Indoor groups prepare for season

Amanda Marvin

Freshman Helen Qiu rehearses with the Indoor Winds. This year, the ensemble’s show is called “It’s the Simple Things in Life.”

Allysson George, Reporter

When the leaves have all fallen and the air turns a little colder, the band members at KHS are just getting started. The Indoor Winds and the Indoor Percussion groups are working hard to perfect this season’s shows. 

Indoor Percussion’s show this year is called “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.” 

“Our show is all about the music of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.  My favorite part is that the whole show is based around happiness and kindness,” said director Brandon Anderson. “I think this is a really important show for this particular year with all of the trouble in the world.  It lets the kids come together for a few hours at a time and only think about happiness.” 

Because of challenges related to Covid, the group has had to make some adjustments this season. 

“We have less practice because of Covid. We have also chosen to change our class to Scholastic Concert, which means we don’t march, just play our music,” Anderson said. “This is a whole new world for our kids and has created a new set of challenges.  This decision was based on a lot of safety concerns, but we are really happy with the change so far.” 

Sophomore Rebecca Arvay is a second year member of Indoor Percussion. One thing that she thinks Covid has really impacted is that they don’t get to see the other groups perform at competitions. 

The Indoor Winds show this year is titled “It’s the Simple Things in Life.” Throughout the show they play parts from the song “Simple Gifts” and their tarp has pictures of memories from the members that represent the good in their lives. Band director Justin Ekstrom leads the group. 

“Being the director of Indoor Winds is an exciting opportunity to grow the relationships created in class in a new performance setting,” Ekstrom said. “We get the unique opportunity to improve the skills rehearsed in class, but we apply them in different ways. I enjoy seeing members improve from school to rehearsal and back again.”

This is the ensemble’s fifth year of competition. Senior Franceska Walker has been a member since the start and is this year’s trumpet soloist.

“We have three soloists this year, a clarinet solo by Amaiya Aiello, a flute solo by Helen Qui, and I will be performing the trumpet solo,” Walker said.

Because of Covid, the group has had to make several changes to their routine. 

“I have been in this group since its start in 2017 and a lot has changed due to Covid. We are now required to wear masks at all times when we are not playing, our warm up blocks have to be six feet apart and so does our drill and we can’t do all the usual dancing and choreography we would do with other members due to covid,” Walker said. “While it is different, I am very thankful to be able to have an actual show to march my senior year. This group has taught me so many things and I am forever grateful for what I have learned and the friends I have made.”