Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lorenz represents KHS at national level

Science teacher Vince Lorenz was recently nominated for the Presidential Award for Innovation in Environmental Education. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency the award “recognizes outstanding kindergarten through grade 12 teachers who employ innovative approaches to environmental education and use the environment as a context for learning for their students.”

Two teachers from each of EPA’s 10 regions, from different states, could be selected to receive this award. 

Though Lorenz felt very humbled to receive such a prestigious award, he wanted to give others credit as well. 

Having the support from my teaching colleagues, administrators, and current and former students has motivated me to continue to do what I love to do,” he said.

Lorenz got his start with nature early in life.

“I have always given credit to my family, especially my grandmother, for instilling the importance of education and the natural world. I also had some great college instructors who I still collaborate with along the way,” he explained.

Lorenz hopes to use his influence in the science education community by helping others develop a love for the planet. 

“Each year is a new group of students who have never had me. I just want to keep inspiring students to care for our planet and to lead by example,” he said. “Nothing to me is as powerful as someone who takes action. Actions speak louder than words.”