Students in Matt Myers US History class work with Gil Porter, a local historian, to set up their museum.

Students bring History to life

The subject History can seem dull and boring to some students; for others it is an interesting topic about the enriching past of our world and society. Teaching history can be a tricky topic to engage people into the content. There are many different ways to do this, but one project here at KHS is something that has never been done before.

Matt Myers, one of the History teachers at the high school, is putting together a museum project for his students in the upcoming weeks. This project stemmed from a change that Myers wanted for his students.

“I wanted something different and unique for my students,” he said as he was describing this event.

Myers got the opportunity to partner with the Howard County Historical Society to really make this project come to life. He believes that it motivates the students to research and present an artifact that others can relate to and see in real time.

The students are currently putting their final touches onto their presentations. The artifacts and presentations are available to see and experience in room 269. Contact Myers for more information about visiting the museum.