International Festival returns to KHS

Students+participate+in+face-painting+at+one+of+the+International+Festival+booths.+The+festival+returns+this+year+after+being+canceled+in+2020.+

Amanda Marvin

Students participate in face-painting at one of the International Festival booths. The festival returns this year after being canceled in 2020.

Ellyse Dalton, Reporter

After being canceled during the 2020-2021 school year, KHS is preparing for the eighth annual International Festival. Since spring of 2013 the International Festival has brought music, food and culture to KHS. The festival committee anticipates 60-100 booths this year, and many different types of dance performances, poetry, games and food. There will be something there for everyone to enjoy on Wednesday, Oct. 13.

A committee of students and teachers  plan this festival. Vice principal John Pinson, who has been a part of the planning committee since 2013,  is looking forward to the seeing the freshmen projects on different countries. After choosing a country, the students research the country and culture.

“I am excited to see what the students find interesting about each culture,” Pinson said.

According to Pinson, the main goal in holding this festival each year is to celebrate diversity in our world, recognize cultures that are different and realize that a lot of the beautiful diversity in the world is right here in this building.

“The purpose is to celebrate the cultural diversity of our world and to allow students of all ages to learn from each other,” said committee member Shara Dishon.

Some of the favorite booths from past years have been the Germany booth where they always have pretzels and fun activities. The Korea, Japan and China booths always have fun activities to do with chopsticks and learning about their cultures. The Brazil table even had soccer as an event. Pinson enjoys the booth from Syria, where they read poetry. 

“I always really enjoyed when the Chinese Dragon would make his appearance,” Dishon said. “I also enjoy trying the different foods that culinary whips up every year.”

This year, three elementary schools will attend the International Festival in the morning. KHS students will be able to enjoy the booths in the afternoon.

“During fifth period we are opening the International Festival to classes and sixth period students with passports can come,” Dishon said.

Passports can be purchased during lunches until Oct. 12. No passports will be sold the day of the festival.