Red & Blue

The Student News Site of Kokomo High School

Red & Blue

Red & Blue

Tennis looks to get back on top

Michael Marvin
Senior Andrew Guerre returns the ball during a warmup with his opponent from Marion. The Kats beat the Giants, 4-1.

The KHS boys’ tennis team started this season off with a bang, beating Delphi 5-0. After notching wins against Leo, Marion and county rival Northwestern, they hold a 4-3 record at this point in the season.

A big goal for the team this season is to win sectionals. The team has evolved immensely and with their positive attitude, and amazing outlooks, things are looking good for them this season.

“My expectations for the team this season is to win sectionals…we are long overdue,” said senior Andrew Guerre.

While each match is different, Guerre finds it best to focus on his own game.

“The first thing I think about is their (my opponent) weaknesses and just finding a way to win,” he said. “I kind of figure out what piece of my game I want to develop throughout the match and just focus on it the whole time.”

With the dedication and hard work the boys’ tennis team put in this summer, the team is in shape and ready to keep competing. But for head coach Travis Taflinger, growing as people is just as important as growing as athletes.

“The seniors lead by serving others, the team treats others with love and respect, and all of us have learned how to persevere with grit and determination,” he said.

A lot of the team’s success stems from the energy and atmosphere of all the players. It is a very family-oriented team, and just like a family everyone receives a lot of love and support from each other.

“As a team during our matches we cheer each other on,” said sophomore Caleb Taflinger. “Our team is like a family and we try to get hype for each other.”

Senior Ari Leger feels like this is the closest the team has been in a long time.

“We’re definitely the closest as people. It doesn’t ever feel like a tennis team,” he said. “It feels like a bunch of friends going and playing tennis every day, so I really appreciate that part a lot.”

Tennis is not an easy sport. It requires a lot of strength, but it also requires a lot of vulnerability especially when it comes to this team. Knowing that they have a village always there to back them up could really help them this year.

On Wednesday, the tennis team traveled to North Central to take on the defending state champions. The Kats held their own, eventually losing 3-2. But Travis Taflinger was proud of his team.

“Andrew had one of the best matches of his career and is gaining his strength back for a great finish to his senior year,” he said. “Micah and Easton by far played the best double I have seen from a Kokomo team in the past three years. They knocked in serves and re-turns, came to the net, and played aggressive, smart tennis. It was a huge win for them.”

The boys’ tennis team hopes to build on that momentum as they travel to Maconaquah on Tuesday.